Acupuncture has a great track-record with regulating the hormonal system and has been used for a long time to boost fertility. From a TCM perspective, the focus of treatments is to support the Kidney system and boost Blood, Yin and Essence.
Studies that have been conducted to determine the effectiveness of acupuncture for fertility have revealed some interesting things:
- Increased blood flow to the uterus and better health of the endometiral lining.
- Regulation of hormone levels, specifically gonadotropin-releasing hormone, which in turn improves ovulation rates.
- Acupuncture can help women with PCOS and anovulatory cycles by stimulating ovulation.
- Regulation of the thyroid. (Thyroid problems can lead to fertility issues)
- An increased number of follicles produced during an IVF treatment.
- Improved sperm quality and counts in infertile men.
The initial course of treatment recommended is three months, however this can vary depending on the woman’s health. Nonetheless, using acupuncture instead of IVF treatments will be considerably less expensive especially when taking into account that very often more than one cycle of IVF is required before a couple becomes pregnant. One cycle of IVF can cost up to $12,000 (which often does not include the cost of hormone therapy drugs). Considering that often 2-3 cycles of IVF are required before pregnancy is achieved, weekly acupuncture combined with herbal medicine will be considerably less expensive. Alternatively, acupuncture can be combined with IVF treatments and has been shown to increase the success rates of IVF.
When you’re body is in balance, you create the perfect environment to nurture the growth of a baby. This safe approach has no side-effects and will support a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery.